What's new
AI Arts Forum :: Talking about Generative AI Art Tools

Whether you're already in love with Generative AI, just getting started, or wanting to learn more, you're in the right place!

Register for a FREE account today and join the conversation.

Leonardo basic questions

gasgas

(1) I wanted to generate an image based on a picture. Do I still have to enter a text prompt? It would not let me press the "Generate" button unless I typed something. Why?

(2) What is the difference between "guidance scale" and "init strength" if I have an image prompt?

(3) What is the difference between "image to image" and "image prompt"

(4) How many basic models are there and how many images have they been trained on? Is the training data available to anyone?

(5) Do the different models differ only in their graphical style or also in the interpretation of keywords?

(6) Can users create their own model? How can I do this?

Hey and welcome to the site!

I'm not too versed in Leonardo, or Stable Diffusion, but let me take a crack at it.

1) Yes. It will use your image as a starting point, but you still need to tell the AI what to do with it. Otherwise it really doesn't know. Maybe there's a way to use img2img for this idk.

2) as I understand it (and I'm basing this of SD so if I'm wrong, apologies) the guidance scale is a weight that is applied to your text prompt. A higher number means it will try to stick to the prompt more and "improvise" less, and vice versa. IIRC the "init strength" has to do with the noise pattern that is generated at the beginning of the process. More noise means your results will be varied, and if you're starting from an image, the output would resemble it less.

3) img2img is exactly what it sounds like, you're taking an existing image and modifying it in some way, i.e. upscaling. image prompt is where you'd upload that existing image for it to do its magic.

4) not sure here, seems like new ones appear all the time, and idk about the rest.

5) the way I understand it the different models have been trained on different image sets. Like the architecture one that specializes in room design, or the anime-focused ones. They were trained on room images/decor styles/etc. or various anime art styles.... it would depend on how the models were trained. If you tagged every image of an elephant with "bird" than telling a model to generate a bird might very well produce an elephant etc.

6) Yes. But I have literally no idea where to start on this one. I think since Leonardo is a spinoff of SD, this might help:

(just for fun ima throw these at GPT-4 and see what it says lol)

GPT-4 said:
1) While I'm not specifically familiar with the Leonardo.ai image generator, it seems like it may require a text prompt to generate images. Many AI-based image generators work by using text descriptions to create images, as they are trained on a combination of text and image data.

If the tool requires a text prompt, it might be because it's designed to take a text description and generate a new image based on that description. In this case, you would need to provide a brief, accurate description of the picture you have in mind, and the AI would attempt to generate a new image based on your text.

To work around this limitation, you could try entering a brief description of the key elements of the picture you want to generate, even if it's not the most ideal way to use the tool.

It's also possible that there are other AI image generation tools available that may better suit your needs, such as those that allow you to upload an image directly to manipulate or enhance it.

2) As a language model, I'm not specifically aware of the exact parameters and options provided by the Leonardo.ai image generator. However, I can provide a general explanation of what "guidance scale" and "init strength" might mean in the context of an AI image generator when using an image prompt.
  1. Guidance Scale: This parameter could be related to the influence of the input image prompt on the final generated image. A higher guidance scale might mean that the generated image would more closely resemble the input image prompt, while a lower guidance scale might allow for more deviation or creative freedom in the generated image.
  2. Init Strength: This parameter could be associated with the initial influence of the input image prompt on the AI's internal representation as it starts generating the new image. A higher init strength might mean that the AI's internal state is more heavily influenced by the input image at the beginning of the generation process, possibly resulting in a more faithful recreation of the input image prompt. On the other hand, a lower init strength might mean that the input image has a weaker initial influence, allowing the AI to explore a broader range of possibilities during the image generation process.
It's important to note that these explanations are general and may not accurately reflect the specific functions of these parameters in the Leonardo.ai image generator. To get more accurate information, I recommend referring to the documentation or support resources provided by the developers of the tool.

3) In the context of AI image generation, "image to image" and "image prompt" are terms related to different approaches to generating images using AI models. Here's a brief explanation of each:

1. Image to Image: This approach typically involves taking an input image and transforming it into another image. The transformation can be based on a specific task, such as image segmentation, colorization, style transfer, or image super-resolution. In this case, the AI model receives an input image and applies the transformation based on its training, generating a new image as output. A popular example of an image-to-image model is the pix2pix model, which is trained to convert images from one domain to another (e.g., turning a sketch into a photorealistic image).
  2. Image Prompt: In this approach, an input image is used as a prompt to guide the AI in generating a new, original image. The AI model combines its understanding of the input image with its knowledge of visual concepts and the textual description provided by the user. This approach often results in more creative and diverse image outputs, as the model can generate new images based on the input image while taking inspiration from the text prompt. An example of a model that can work with image prompts is OpenAI's DALL-E, which generates images from text prompts and can be guided by an input image as well.
The key difference between these approaches is that image-to-image focuses on transforming or modifying a given input image, whereas image prompt leverages an input image to guide the generation of a new, original image based on the combination of visual and textual inputs.

4) As an AI language model, I don't have direct information on the specific "stable diffusion" model you are referring to. However, if you are referring to a diffusion model in the context of AI image synthesis, it might be related to the work done by OpenAI with their diffusion models for image generation, such as the Guided Diffusion Model.

Regarding the number of basic models and the number of images they have been trained on, it would depend on the specific implementation and dataset used by the developers of that model. AI models can be trained on a wide range of datasets, from small, specialized datasets with just a few thousand images to large-scale datasets with millions of images.

As for the availability of the training data, it again depends on the specific dataset used for training the model. Some datasets are publicly available and can be accessed by anyone, while others might be proprietary or require permission from the dataset creators. Examples of publicly available image datasets include ImageNet, COCO, and CIFAR. If you are interested in using a particular dataset, you should check its licensing and usage terms to ensure compliance.

To get more accurate information about the specific stable diffusion model you're referring to, I recommend referring to the documentation or support resources provided by the developers of the tool or model.

5) In the context of AI image generation, different models can differ in various aspects, including graphical style and interpretation of keywords. Here's a breakdown of these differences:
  1. Graphical Style: Some models may have been trained on specific visual styles or datasets that influence the generated images' appearance. For example, a model trained primarily on cartoons would have a different graphical style than one trained on realistic photographs. This difference in style could affect the overall look and feel of the generated images, even when given the same text prompt or image input.
  2. Interpretation of Keywords: Models can also differ in how they interpret and respond to keywords in text prompts. These differences can arise due to variations in the model architecture, the training data, or the fine-tuning process. For example, one model might be more adept at generating landscapes when given a keyword like "mountains," while another model might focus more on close-up details of mountainous terrain. The interpretation of keywords can also be influenced by the context provided in the text prompt, as well as the specific combination of keywords used.
It's worth noting that models may differ in other ways as well, such as their ability to handle complex prompts, the resolution of the generated images, and the level of fine control they offer over the image generation process.

Ultimately, the differences between models arise from a combination of factors, including the architecture of the neural network, the training data used, and any fine-tuning or post-processing steps that have been applied. To understand the specific differences between models, it's helpful to consult the documentation or experiment with each model to see how they respond to various prompts and inputs.

6) Yes, users can create their own AI models for various tasks, including image generation. The process of creating a custom AI model generally involves the following steps:

1. Define the problem: Determine the specific task you want your model to perform, such as image generation from text prompts or image-to-image translation.
  2. Collect and prepare data: Gather a dataset of images relevant to the task you've defined. This dataset may need to be annotated or paired with corresponding text prompts, depending on your use case. You might need to clean, preprocess, and augment the data to improve the model's performance and generalization.
  3. Choose a model architecture: Select an appropriate neural network architecture for your task, such as a generative adversarial network (GAN), a variational autoencoder (VAE), or a diffusion model. You can start with a well-established architecture and modify it according to your specific requirements.
  4. Train the model: Split your dataset into training and validation sets, and then use the training set to train your model. Monitor the model's performance on the validation set to avoid overfitting and to fine-tune hyperparameters.
  5. Evaluate and fine-tune: Evaluate the performance of your trained model on a test set (a separate set of images not used during training). Fine-tune the model and its hyperparameters to improve its performance.
  6. Deploy the model: Once you're satisfied with your model's performance, you can deploy it to a server or integrate it into your application.
To create your own AI model, you'll need some experience in machine learning, programming (preferably in Python), and familiarity with deep learning frameworks like TensorFlow or PyTorch. There are many resources, tutorials, and courses available online to learn these skills if you're just starting.

Keep in mind that training AI models, especially for image generation tasks, can be computationally expensive and may require specialized hardware like GPUs or TPUs. You might consider using cloud-based platforms like Google Colab, AWS, or Microsoft Azure, which offer GPU-enabled instances to facilitate the training process.

Remember that training a custom AI model can be a complex and time-consuming process. If your use case is relatively common, you might consider using pre-trained models or fine-tuning existing models on your dataset to save time and resources.

========= gotta love v4 and its lists

It seems like you're looking to start a discussion about Leonardo, but need to add more details to your post. Are you referring to the Leonardo painting software, the da Vinci surgical system, or something else? It would be great if you could clarify! Also, interested in painting, for beginners learning to paint, I have a pretty good tool to use,
Paint AI, which can easily create AI images. If you are interested in this, it is worth a try!

Back