What's new
AI Arts Forum :: Talking about Generative AI Art Tools

Whether you're already in love with Generative AI, just getting started, or wanting to learn more, you're in the right place!

Register for a FREE account today and join the conversation.

Very Confused About Copyrights of A.I. Generated Art

Soniclight

As a former graphic designer who went to design college back in the late 1970s, I'm not a newbie in the general before-A.I. copyrights thing. I also tend to be a bit ethics-compulsive about the issue.

So for example, most of the time if I see a nice photo or A.I. image in my newsfeed at Facebook, I'll do a reverse image search to find out who created it. I like to give credit when I can.

Living in the U.S., I'm also aware of the current copyright law on A.I. generated art:

With few exceptions, NO A.I. generated art can be copyrighted (because most of it is created by algorithms that are not made by "humans" (deep learning) . This contrary to one site's FAQ on the subject,, PlaygroundAI, that states:

How does copyright work? Do I own the images I create?
Information about copyright, image ownership, and customer rights

Yes, per our terms of service: "(ii) you own all Assets you create with the Services and (iii) we hereby assign to you all rights, title and interest in and to such Assets for your personal or commercial use.”

Accordingly, images that are generated by other creators on Playground are owned by them.

That is not in alignment with current copyright law. One of many writings about this can be read at ARTNews - "US Copyyright Office: AI generated Works Are Not Eligible for Copyright"

As back to finding and crediting an A.I. image, it's very hard to reverse image search images because my guess is that they are behind the firewall of a site's user galleries at any number of A.I. sites.

That said, is using a macro in Photoshop also "A.I. generated"?
Technically, yes, but the input by the artist or photographer is the overwhelming factor = human authorship.

So on a purely artist-to-artist moral level, be it A.I. or not, it seems that copyrights apply. But due to A.I. basically does 90% or more of the work of A.I. generated images, artist or not-artist can't claim copyrights.

And that's the sense of confusion I'm dealing with. And I'm probably not the only one...
Your thoughts?

Back